Merchant Navy … A career on high seas!
Merchant Navy is the backbone of international trade, carrying cargo across the globe. Merchant ships employ a large number of workers to carry and deliver goods from one country to another.Without the merchant navy, much of the import-export business would grind to a halt. Merchant Navy is a non-combatant commercial fleet. Around 90% of world trade is carried by the international shipping industry. There are over 50,000 merchant ships trading internationally, transporting every kind of cargo. The Merchant Navy is operated by both public & private sector shipping companies. The merchant ships are maintained by experienced navigators crews and marine engineers. As the job involves travelling for considerably longer duration, the life of those who work in Merchant Navy is distinctly different from usual.
A career in merchant navy gives you an opportunity to travel around the world. A career at sea will make you stand in an excellent stead, no matter how quickly the world changes. The opportunity to work with cutting-edge technologies and develop practical and technical skills will make life enjoyable and exciting.If you have an adventurous mind and like to travel and explore, then merchant navy could be the perfect career option for you. Both highly satisfying and challenging, a job in merchant navy also has an excellent salary structure.
As a youngster, if you are dreaming to join merchant navy, here are few
more reasons to consider merchant navy as a career:
- It makes you responsible at an early age
- Confluence of Cultures
- Enhances Professionalism
- Extended Vacations
- Lucrative Pay-Packages
- Tax Benefits
- Destinations Galore
- Opportunity to interact with different people and culture from different countries
- This career promises fast growth
- There is job security with choice of working period
- Accommodation facility on ship and no expenses for lodging.
- Exceptional earning potential
- Opportunity to see the world
This domain deals with ferrying a huge amount of goods, and occasionally, passengers, by sea. The major tasks are performed in three basic areas of a ship: the Deck, the Engine and the Service department.
1. Deck/Navigation Department:The main function of the deck department is proper watch standing and the maintenance of the ship's hull and accommodations as well as the ship's safety appliances.
2. Engine Department:The purpose of this department is to ensure the smooth functioning of the technical part of the ship.
3. Service Department:This is the department that preforms living and catering services for the crew.